The common cold (coryza) is usually caused by the rhinoviruses and is a highly infectious, normally mild illness characterized mainly by a runny nose (rhinor-rhoea), sneezing, sore throat and sometimes slight fever. There are many home remedies for runny nose and sneezing. Normally a cold runs its course over a few days. Influenza is caused by a different group of viruses and produces far more severe symptoms than a cold, including very high temperatures and muscle pains, complete recovery can take weeks and secondary bacterial infections are more common than with a simple cold.
A acute catarrhal inflammation of any or all other part of the respiratory track from the nasal mucosa to the nasal sinuses, throat, larynx, trachea, bronchi and it is also known as acute coryza. Viruses and allergies are the main causes for this infection. Although the common cold does not cause death. its economic importance is vast because it is the greatest cause of absenteeism in industry and schools. you can follow the below instructions to get relief immediately. People may suffer from common cold many times a year so, this not a serious problem, it can be cured easily by home remedies for runny nose and sneezing.
There is saying that a common cold can be cured in a week or it takes seven days to cure. There is no cure for cold but, it can be prevented. The chief symptoms are stuffy nose and congestion. A cold usually lasts from three to eight days. A common cold mainly depends upon the health of the person. The environment also plays a vital role. Home remedies for runny nose and sneezing are given below.
The common cold is marked by congestion of the nasal mucosa with partial or complete occlusion of the nostrils and a continuous watery discharge with more or less continuous sniffling and blowing of the nose. Also present may be sneezing, lacrimation, irritated nasopharynx, chilliness, stuffy nose, Watery eyes, cough, Sore throat and malaise is the visual symptom. Fever in adults is rare; if fever is present, influenza or another cause of the infection. Symptoms are usually resolved within 2 to 10 days. Persons with chronic diseases such as diabetes or heart or lung diseases should consult a physician when they have a cold, esp. if it is severe, accompanied by fever, or lasts more than 10 days.
Home remedies for runny nose and sneezing
- A simple remedy is turmeric powder mixed with boiled milk. Add half a teaspoon of pure turmeric powder to a cup of hot milk add little sugar, take twice or thrice a day.it is an amazing home remedy
- Keep the body warm, take rest
- Avoid cold water, curd sand brinjal
- Take one lemon, dilute its juice in a glass of warm water, add a teaspoon of honey take twice or thrice a day
- Eat one amla twice a day, you will see improvement
- Garlic soup should be taken once daily, even eating garlic is beneficial. Ginger decoction takes 10 -12 grams of ginger cut into small pieces and boil in a cup of water. Strain it and add little sugar for taste. The decoction should be drunk when hot.
- Tamarind pepper juice is an effective remedy for the common cold. Take a small ball of tamarind and put it in a cup of water, add a teaspoon of hot ghee after ten minutes of soaking. add half a teaspoon of black pepper powder, heat the mixture, hot juice or brew should be taken twice or thrice a day.
- Inhalation of steam and a steam facial may be taken to obtain quick relief.
- Juices of ginger, oranges, radish, garlic etc. can also be taken, water vapour is also useful.
- Few exercises like fresh air and deep breathing, brisk walk, mild sunbath, and yogasanas like Shavasana and bhujangasana are beneficial